Selected project examples
Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the construction of substations and overhead transmission lines in Albania
Fichtner GmbH was commissioned for consulting services for the project "220-kV double overhead line Tirana - Rrashbull and 110-kV-Tirana-Ring", which is part of the Albanian energy efficiency sector programme "Electricity Transmission".
Component 1 of this project included the construction of a new 220-kV overhead line between the substations Tirana 2 and Rrashbull as well as the extension of both substations. Component 2 included the extension of the 110-kV transmission network in Tirana area (110-kV-Tirana-Ring) as well as the construction of the new substation 400/110-kV Tirana 3 and its connection to the 400-kV transmission line Tirana - Elbasan.
Following visits to the planned sites and overhead line routes, GefaÖ prepared an Environmental and Social Impact Assessment in 2016, including associated Management Plans in accordance with national legislation and in line with requirements of the international donor bank. Due to changes in the selected sites for the Tirana 3 substation and line corridors, this ESIA was updated and completed in 2020. Since 2021, GefaÖ conducted semi-annual audits for supervision of the contractor’s implementation of the measures defined in the management plan. In addition, GefaÖ was involved in the preparation of the required Land Acquisition and Resettlement Plan.
Services of GefaÖ
- Field survey of transmission line corridors and proposed sites for substations
- Consultation with stakeholders
- Preparation of the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) including the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) for implementation and control of required measures
- Involvement in preparation of the required Land Acquisition and Resettlement Plan (LARP)
- Monitoring of the implementation of the measures specified in management plans during the construction phase, including on-site audits and reporting